Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Good words/quotes for me today

All the Google quotes and the word fit me in different ways today. Let me explain...

Word of the Day
quondam: former; sometime

I believe that I am either a full fledged quondam conservative or at least a quondam Republican. At any rate, either of these phrases would express the fact that while I used to buy into the respective political philosophies, I don't as much. Still, my old political leanings formed my politics today. Not that I have abandoned these philosophies full scale, but that I now look at them with much more discernment. Certainly, I am still more conservative than liberal and more likely to vote Republican than Democratic, but I would no longer use these terms to define myself.

Quote of the Day
Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its possessors into trouble of all kinds.
- Samuel Butler

Of course I'm not a genius intellectually, still I feel that I have a certain way of looking at the world that is different, and in some ways, perhaps more developed than many who just see the easy way to survive or to earn a buck. It is this way of looking at the world that often causes me to say things that are frustrating to others, or to cause me to get down upon myself.

America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up.
- Oscar Wilde

This quote relates to me only as I have been reading about the Basques of late partly of basque heritage. In my reading I've learned that there is good evidence that basques fishermen came to the Americas long before Columbus, but did not share their discovery out of want to keep their new found fishing hole a secret.

One doesn't have a sense of humor. It has you.
Larry Gelbart


Again, not that I'm particularly funny all the time, but when something is funny to me, I can't control the desire to share it, think about it, or do something creative with it. The sense of humor takes me.