Thursday, January 15, 2009

What's better boring or WOW?

Seth Godin's blog this morning accuses me (the reader) of being boring.  Boring is doing the safe thing.  In some ways, I'm not real boring.  I challenge the status quo.  But in other ways, I am boring.  I don't want my status quo messed up.  I like my life.  I like to go home sit on my lazy boy and flip channels. 

Godin's post reminds me of a quote from Stef's current favorite TV show.  Duff, the Ace of Cakes, says, "They may say "Wow! That sucks." But at least they'll say, 'Wow.'"


Boring things/boring people are safe.  Nothing new means expected outcome.  Excitement isn't predictable.  So, here are my questions: Do you prefer boring friends or exciting friends?  Do you prefer a boring boss or and exciting boss?  Would you prefer a boring or exciting economic cycle?

I don't think you can have boring excitement.  You also can't have a safe unknown.